Wednesday 13 November 2013

Tis the Season to Prep for Christmas - Gifts on a Tight Budget

I'm seeing the countdown to Christmas everywhere I look.

The store displays are all decked out and the malls are already rocking the Jingle tunes.

I'm no grinch; but I can't help panic as I look through my budget and realize I barely have two pennies to rub together to buy gifts for my friends and family after all the bills are paid up.

I bought the largest gifts already for my man and kids - but still have about 15-20 extended family members and friends to think of.

My boyfriend's aunt has asked for a Family portrait for Christmas. So I'm going to run with that.

It's time to plan out the gifts.

If you are friends and family, I highly recommend you stop reading right here as this is a SPOILER ALERT!)


For everyone else, scroll down.



























I get special requests every year from friends and family for certain items (Sugar Cookies, Shortbread, Ginger Snaps, Eatmore Bars, Candy Cane cookies etc). I'm also going to go ahead and try out some Cake Pops too. I'm a HUGE fan of them, and I have heard are amazingly easy to make (the biggest decision will be what KINDS to make).

WalMart has a sale going on right now with personalized photograph Coffee Mugs for $9 each. I think that would be a great centerpiece (a cute pic of our little man) filled with Assorted chocolates, candy canes and a few individually wrapped Cake pops, and a couple of hot chocolate mixes. A small framed family portrait along with a small tin of assorted cookies and treats, all done up in nice gift bags.

The personalized mugs will be for close family (Aunts, Uncles & Grandmas), but I'll buy cheaper Christmas Themed Coffee Mugs from Dollarama for extended family and friends.

The mugs, gift bags, wrap, ribbons, picture frames, tins and bows can all be purchased at Dollarama for about $60

Walmart - $50 for the Personalized Photograph mugs

The Photography and pictures shouldn't cost more than $90 from Superstore (includes "personalized" Christmas Picture Cards for distant friends and families, just gotta pay Postage)

Baking Goods about $50

If I work this out right when all is said and done - the last treats are baked and last bow and ribbons are lovingly curled and stuck on the final gift bag, it should Cost around $20 per person for close family and $12 per person for friends and extended family.

I am going to start the baking soon. Everything I make can easily be frozen until ready to sort decorate and gift.

A tip for those who want to bake ahead of time - if you freeze your treats, make sure you wrap them in plenty of Parchment and Wax paper before freezing to make sure that the treats don't collect condensation during the freezing and defrosting period (which will ruin the look and taste).

All in all I'm spending about $250 over a month's period for 15 - 20 people.

Yes I may be cheap, but I refuse to break the bank for an way over-commercialized Holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment